The primal joy of housework..

My husband and I have been living out of hotels and suitcases for 7 months now..and while its been very very enjoyable ~ full of new sights and food and people, of course there are some things I'm missing. Yes, my children and my family top this list...but the surprise to me is this:

I MISS cleaning and cooking. [ ...I swear I can hear my sister laughing~]

Granted. It is the sweetest thing to leave an untidy room and come back to clean towels and a freshly made bed, all the garbage mysteriously whisked away and the counters clean and neat. It is joyous. :=)

But.

There is something therapeutic to squirting sweet smelling dish detergent under a flowing tap and scrubbing your dishes in a sink full of warm sudsy water. It is satisfying to polish the taps in the bathroom until they gleam..it's even somewhat pleasant to cook supper. Ugh. okay scratch that one..but, there have been moments in my life as a mommy and wife when baking something..usually bread...just hits the spot. Fills that little empty void with an excuse to beat the dough around and shape it into neat little loaves or smaller rolls. Then fills the house with that unbeatable smell of crusty warm bread right out of the oven. The smells of home.

Maybe that's what I'm missing today. Home.

ah well.
This is an adventure of a lifetime and I Love every single minute of it..I truly do. It will come to an end soon enough one day and we will unpack our clothes for the last time..or at least for a looonngg while.
And, I will run out and stock my kitchen cupboards with everything I need to make this recipe~

Never Fail Rolls
I know what you're thinking. beware the recipe that claims to be 'never fail'..but this one will not let you down. ..try it~

Put 2 tsp of sugar and 2 Tbsp of yeast into 1 cup of warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl put:
1 cup of warm milk
2 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C oil
2 beaten eggs

Mix together. Add in the yeast mixture. Add enough flour to make a runny dough and beat with a mixer until it's quite glutenous. Add additional flour to make it knead-able and knead [enjoy this, it's the therapeutic part~] until it's shiny. Let rise until double..about 1 hour. Plop the dough out onto a large floured counter top and begin to shape your rolls..or loaves..or even cinnamon rolls or pizza dough.

It is hands down the best bread dough recipe I've found. .





Anyway..enjoy your day all and scrub something for me will you? ~ :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!

Creating an organic glass Bead

Potomac bead box!