transitioning..


So we have finally moved into an apartment and unpacked our suitcases here in Be'er Sheva Israel...and although we are missing some things from home, we are settling in.
Much to our surprise, it does rain and the days can be cool in the Negev desert..I brought only my flip flops with me and have my boots and all other closed shoes coming in 3 months time ~when it will be 100 plus.
There is so much that's new... the smells, the sounds, the music, the television, the many muslim and orthodox jews in the dress of their beliefs, the seemingly impatient drivers and the incessant honking (why?) the pink dust of the desert sand always on the horizon, the quick animated hebrew tongue...all of it is foreign and I have a longing for it to become familiar quickly..I don't much like feeling like a stranger out of my element. but I am and we are and I know it will be some time before I am feeling 'at home'
Our apartment is high on a hill on the outskirts of the city. These buildings themselves are built to withstand the elements and man.
The walls are not drywall or wood, but constructed of stone and marble and cement. We have a 'safe room', as do all coded apartments. A safe room is a room the size of an ordinary bedroom that is equipped with a sliding steel barrier over the window and a heavy lockable door. I'm not quite sure if I feel safer with this room in my home or uneasy that I may actually need such a thing~
This is my safe room


Quite lovely..and I will get much use out of that tub for sure..:-)

Today I had the internet guy show up and connect me once again to the outside world..yes. some familiarity! its wonderful. Many Israeli speak a smattering of English and although difficult it's possible to understand somewhat what the other is needing or saying.
As it turns out the connection is too slow for skype and I'm unable to make a satisfactory call to my mom or sister..:-( very disappointing.

Anyway..stay tuned. I'll take lots of photos of the lovely Israel and our journey here this year, ..the food is delicious by the way. Sometimes the restaurant is such a surprise..the outside is questionable and you would easily pass by not realizing what you were missing inside.
Omelets with feta or goat cheese and black olives..salads of tomato and cucumber and vinigrette..brushetta with tapenades. Oddly, we've become huge fans of sushi..? yes, not very hebrew, we know. But there is a restaurant here that serves the best inside out rolls with spicy tuna and I have promised my husband I'll learn to make this~

It's going to be a busy year full of learning and adventure and in spite of being a wee bit homesick right now I truly am looking forward to all of it.. :-))

Comments

Angela Fehr said…
Sounds amazing, Deborah! Just a tip - when my parents were living in Papua New Guinea, we had the same trouble with a poor internet connection. While Skype wasn't reliable, we enjoyed "almost-as-good" visits using the instant messaging feature on Google Talk. Facebook chat would do the same thing, I suppose!
Deborah Lambson said…
oh thats a fantastic tip Angela..I will check that out!
Wendy said…
All the best to you. I hope that you find familiarity in many things, and adventure and fun in all the other stuff... it's all about attitude! I can't give you any advice on living in a desert country, since I've never lived anywhere but here... but I DO know that how you look at something is what determines the outcome. Enjoy your experiences!
Deborah, what a wonderful experience! I love new places and exploring all that there is to explore. Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your adventure.

Popular posts from this blog

Creating an organic glass Bead

Potomac bead box!

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!