One of my favorite posts

I'm having a "what shall I post about today?" moment and decided to pull out one of my favorite old posts.
'Tiara constructed of Fairy Beads'

My mother sewed our clothes when I was growing up. There was little I owned that hadn't been worn by my older sister first (there were 6 of us..so Mom learned frugality). Sometimes I got a special dress or jumper that was custom made just for me...but that's a story for another day. Mom had an old box purse dating back to her youth that she used as a button box. I enjoyed running my hands through the buttons and exploring the colors and shapes and design of each button while Mom worked at the sewing machine. Every so often I would say, 'Look at this one!' and she'd dutifully look and agree that it was very beautiful.
I still enjoy buttons..some are like little works of art.

I was reminded of Mom's button box the other day as I watched my grand-daughter sort with great pleasure through all the wonkie beads I have in a bowl. She carefully examined each bead, seeing virtues in each one that I'd discarded as not quite worthy. She claimed that some of the hollow transparent ones had to be fairy beads and when I took a closer look I saw that of course she was right.
How could I have missed that!? ...


Comments

Anonymous said…
we all need to be reminded of fairy magic, every once in a while. ;)
Oh, the running your hands through the purse full of buttons brings a smile to my face. It reminded me of bags of buttons someone gave us when we were kids. Lots and lots of plain, amber colored ones, but once in a while we'd find a pretty flower one that would make the sorting more like a treasure hunt :)

Your granddaughter and the fairy beads make an incredibly magical picture.
Anonymous said…
Speaking of fairy magic, I finally figured out how to get the award up. thanks so much for bestowing it upon me. I have passed it on as well. I appreciate your support. light and love-amanda
Anonymous said…
we all need to be reminded of fairy magic, every once in a while. ;)
Hot Rocks said…
As a child I used to collect, and trade buttons and beads with my friends. Some of them were so special and magical that they were never traded, only oohed and aahed over. Funny how things that were so imprtant to us as youngsters, still play a big part of who we are as adults!
Anonymous said…
Alkalgewaggog [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-motilium-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Motilium without no prescription online[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-mobic-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Mobic without no prescription online[/url]

Popular posts from this blog

Potomac bead box!

Creating an organic glass Bead

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!