My Mother is the smartest person I know..

For one thing she’s always known exactly how I feel…how smart is that? when half the time I myself am at a loss.
She has mothered six children and sustained more than 40 years of marriage before Dad passed away more than 10 years ago. You have to be very near brilliant to pull that one off.

Growing up my mother derived great satisfaction in being self-sufficient. While we lived on Vancouver Island we had a small acreage. Just enough to keep a couple of cats, a dog, a cow and a few laying hens happy.
She and Dad planted gardens
that produced copious amounts of corn, carrots and potatoes. Not to mention her tomatoes, strawberries and grapes. They all flourished under her green thumb.

Most of our clothes were sewn from Butterick and Simplicity patterns. I have some treasured recollections of hiking myself up onto those stools and leafing through the massive pattern books in Woodwards while Mom tried to find something I would like.
An impossibility, I’m sure.
This was the 70’s and I wanted to wear jeans and mini skirts. Mom would have none of the jeans and preferred jumpers. You couldn’t roll jumpers up. It was an ongoing battle until we met somewhere in the middle and agreed on skirts.
I don’t know if she was ever onto me rolling the bands down on my skirt in order to show more of my rebellious thighs ~ if she was, she never let on.
Smart.

My mother is brimming with colorful creative sparks. Her cupboards are full of things made and half made by her own hands. There’s very little in my mothers house that she has not crafted, and crafted well. Now, her grand-children are certain that if Mom can’t make it or fix it Grand-mother for sure can. They’re right.

I adore and admire her. I can only hope I’ve learned my lessons well from her and maybe someday if I’m very lucky my kids will think I’m the smartest person they know…I Love you to the sky Mom. ♥

Comments

Mytutorlist.com said…
Awww, what a sweet post about your mom. She sounds like a really great mom! A very happy mother's day to her and to you!
Deborah Lambson said…
Thanks so much Marie..enjoy your day as well!
Anonymous said…
Grandmother is a very lucky to have you for a daughter. You appretiated all the little and big things that she did for you kids, and is still doing for you as an adult. Some parents are not so lucky :)

I am blessed to have grown up with you as my mother. You made may, many sacrafices for us kids. Dont think that they we didnt notice them.

I have a strange certainty that before this time on earth....before you were my mom, we were best friends. I think that we made a promise to be there to guide and protect each other.
You are always there for me...
I will always be here for you...

I only hope that I can give to my children....some pieces of grandmothers wisdom that she took time to pass on to you, and pieces of knowledge and strength that you spent teaching us kids.
I love you mom
I love you Grandmother
Happy mothers day♥
Kirsten said…
What a beautiful tribute to your mother!
On a Whimsey said…
A remarkable story and a wonderful lady! Thanks for sharing.
Unknown said…
Such a wonderful thing to say about your mom, hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.
Duni said…
What a touching post. I loved it. Ahh...the 70's. Actually I really like those Butterick patterns, but I can understand your plight at the time!
Creative mom = creative daughter :)
Erika said…
What a beautiful post. It is wonderful to hear of how our Moms have helped us. Hope you had a great day.
Unknown said…
family of 6 like me...
wonderful post...
your mom's a cutie...
mona & the girls
makes me miss my mom so much..
so glad I get to spend so much time with the girls...
Deb said…
Aww Deb - your Mum is a darling. You are so blessed!

And look she is wearing orange in the family photo - I just know that she is one very special lady... with great taste ;o)

I too recall the 70's - I was 12 when Mum finally gave up & wouldn't make or buy me anything I hadn't chosen personally. Looking back at the old photo's two words come to mind. BIG mistake!!

You have put me to shame. I have had half a blog post written for months. I intended that it would go up furst for my Mum's Birthday, then for Mothers Day - but didn't allow enough time either the night before or on the day to complete it.

You are a better daughter than I Deborah! :o)

Popular posts from this blog

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!

Potomac bead box!

Creating an organic glass Bead