My Work Desk



A couple of years ago I heard of an older couple that were moving into a care home. The children were selling some of their belongings, one of which was a desk. I was in dire need of a work desk, so I went out to take a look.
The address turned out to be a little mobile home upturned with boxes of belongings and worn furniture stacked so high you could barely turn around. I was struck by how sad it must be to have to pack your life up like that. On the other hand maybe they were quite satisfied with the arrangement and looked forward to their new home with eager anticipation. I do tend to fantasize.
At any rate, I liked the desk..I especially
liked the roll top feature. I could leave a mess behind and just pull the top down on it and have the room itself look neat and tidy. Very cool. They need to put this feature on more items. Beds and kitchen counter tops come to mind.
I brought the desk home and as I was cleaning it out I noticed the tiniest slip of paper wedged into the seam of one of the drawers. I was very curious and slid it out with my nail. It was a hand drawn pattern for what looked to be either a quilt piece or maybe a little doll boot.
A hard working crafter had owned this desk! I put the little slip of hand drawn pattern for who knows what back into the drawer and there it will remain with all of my own accumulating creative designs. I'm sure it's what keeps the muse flowing around that work desk.
That and my lucky purple socks.

Comments

Gretel said…
How wonderful - I adore finding things like that! :) And what a spendid desk.
I do believe a little muse must be living in that desk still. Bet she was happy to have you discover the little treasure and to keep it safe :)
Mytutorlist.com said…
Wow! How cool is it to find an old crafter's desk with a little note/pattern! I do like how you can hide your mess too. They really should make more desks and things like that...
Deb said…
Ahhh roll top desks are indespensible!! What a treasure to find the sketch :o)
Your blog has been a very enjoyable read. Thank-you for sharing ,

((((hugs))))
kim aka iamgesbykim
Deborah Lambson said…
thank you ladies for dropping in and leaving such nice comments..♥
Why don't you come and join us on PDA

A little more interactive than Can-eh and you just may get that paper art off the back burner. :)

Kim aka imagesbykim
http://artandimagesbykim.ning.com/
Mermaid Glass said…
What a wonderful find!
And yes, a roll-top feature for my laundry pile would be fabulous....

Popular posts from this blog

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!

Creating an organic glass Bead

Potomac bead box!