How much influence do the color trends have on your work?

I try very hard to control my ADHD-ish tendencies but I'm a little crazy in the studio as far as picking colors up on a whim. This week I'm going to go against my nature (hmm..could that really be a good thing??) and be diligent with my sketch book as well as researching out some color trends before I begin any work.
To that end, the Pantone Fashion Color Report for Spring 2009 has a site that is inspiring, maybe influencing? and just plain interesting to check in on every so often. The Spring season palette is dripping with brilliant fuchsia, sunny yellow and a mouth watering lime that they're calling 'Dark Citron', great name~ and while those shades are not normally my comfort zone (to work in that is..Love to gaze at them) there is also a range of neutrals that calm my soul.

and o..
No yellow for me thank you very much. A little of that goes a long way in my book.

The upcoming fall/winter season color prediction is as expected, much more subdued ..
" A dark, shady range in a variety of inky tones. Touches of color electrify the palette. And to tone it all down: white and taupy or grayed shades." - Cosmoworlds

Personally, I really like the influence of metals that I'm seeing..works wonderfully with the metal clays that I want to get into more.

At any rate, this week I'm going to work differently.. I may even pull out some sunny school bus yellow.

uh..maybe we'll see about that one..

Comments

Anonymous said…
LMAO! i was a bit scared of the yellow myself.. but it's a huge trend for spring/summer... i'm using lots of teal and green apple.. and some tangerines and pinks mixed together. and like you.. a bit of the yellow. ;)
Deborah Lambson said…
yeah..the mix of color is exciting and the tangerine and pink combination is especially lovely~
Thanks for stopping in Tracie!
Mermaid Glass said…
Good luck! I'm an idiot about color. I can no more follow a trend than I can do a back-handspring. I just step up and whatever I'm feeling that day comes out of the glass rack and onto the mandrel. :)
brokenteepee said…
I won't wear yellow to save my life but I do love it...think baltic amber, sparkling citrine, yellow sapphire. Ooooh, how pretty. Oooh, oooh and lemon quartz. All can compliment that beautiful glass.
Beth said…
That's a good idea to find out what the colors are going to be. Not that I'm even remotely aware of them or dress according to them! Ha!

I'm fascinated by the fact that there are trends and that people predict them. Who knew?
Deborah Lambson said…
Thanks for dropping in ladies and Pricilla you've got me rethinking the merits of 'yellow'..
Marlaine said…
I keep thinking that if the trends are the colours fashion is using that I need to be making jewelry in those trendy colours. And then I just go ahead and use the beads that are speaking to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!

Potomac bead box!

Creating an organic glass Bead