Not all those who wander..

Some of you may know that because of my husbands job we've been living overseas for some time now.
In a 6 year span we've moved around through Maryland, Boston, California and Texas before traveling overseas for an extended period of time. For 3 years we lived in Israel, then in March of 2014 we moved to the little country of Qatar [on the Persian Gulf] where we still are.

Being overseas has afforded us the opportunities for travel. We've enjoyed seeing parts of Turkey, Germany, Ireland, Italy, France and Scotland! All of that travel is amazing, amazing..for so many reasons.

Plaza in Turkey
I've tasted different foods and and tried to wrap my tongue around new languages...which oddly, isn't really appreciated, since everyone wants to practise their English with you!  As a woman, styles and clothing are noticed. Here in the Middle East, I've observed that under all those heavy black muslim veils and coverings are high quality, trendy jeans/dresses/shirts.

Enjoying Kabob with some really wonderful new friends..the Chef came out to make sure our meal was to our liking.

I've found that other countries are quite fond of Canada. We're viewed as a peace loving people. I like that. Travelling other countries has made me become a little more of a Patriot, and I now hold more dear the freedoms we have.

Surprisingly, I've also heard what our Canadian accent sounds like! After months of being immersed in a foreign tongue I was startled to recognize a fellow Canadian speak on a passing television show. I realized that other nationalities must hear our language sounding a little clipped, and that we tend to like the sound of the letter 'R'!

I've come to more fully understand that no matter what your culture is or which language is being spoken, at heart we're pretty much all the same.  For the most part, we have many of the same desires, goals and dreams..the same things make us laugh and the same things make us cry. We truly are one connected family.

On a side note, I've also learned to pack only travel essentials!  and not to go through security wearing the bra with wire in it..

Sharing just a few sweet visual memories from these travels. 

Sumptuous Mediterranean breakfast al fresco, Israel 2013 The food in Israel is better than any where else I've been, due I think to the fresh whole foods available everywhere. The goat cheese you eat in the morning is fresher than fresh, the olives from a nearby grove, the tomatoes picked that morning. All of it delicious. 
Farmland near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany 2011
Milt in Bahrain, 2015
Milt, with our tour guide..Ireland 2013
Here at the Shivta ruins in Israel, these walls that remain date back to Byzantine times. Posing with a friend [rocking the shades] who was in Israel as a volunteer Hospice worker.  2012

And finally for now, this lovely memory. This time last year we were in Strasbourg, France! What a beautiful, beautiful night.  Yes, the Christmas market is as wonderful as they claim!  



We are one lucky couple of shmucks, I know. I'd always wanted to travel and see the world, but was destined to wait until my children were grown before I was able to do that.  

I think it's probably much sweeter for the wait. Things usually are.


From Maya Angelou in 'Passports to Understanding' 

"Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends."



Comments

I like those places. I think that they are all totally special for any tourist visiting them.
Unknown said…
What a lovely post. Always exciting to see what life brings. I hope your journeys continue to be as inspiring xoxo
Deborah Lambson said…
Thank you Melissa my girl..I appreciate your stopping by and leaving a comment. xox
You wanted to write such wonderful posts and you did it. Many thanks for the article.

Popular posts from this blog

Potomac bead box!

Creating an organic glass Bead

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!