Hand crafted clasps

I've found a new love. Metalwork. Oh my. The more 'skilled'...and at this point, I use that word loosely...I get at the sawing and the soldering the more excited I become at the possibilities. Its like sewing really. Metal not fabric, but the elements are similar. Decide what you're going to make, draw out your pattern, collect your tools, cut and assemble.
I have some sheets of copper and brass and some much smaller sheets of sterling and fine silver in varying gauges. So far I've found the brass the most difficult to manage because of the hardness. The sterling which I finally cut into yesterday, is by far the nicest to work with. I tend to beat them all up a bit, partly because I like the time worn look but also due to my level of skill. The brass takes on a beautiful finish in spite of my lack of experience and I love that.
I love the look of all of them for different reasons but really I lean toward the brass right now.
My desire to learn was to ensure myself of a sure supply of unique hand crafted clasps for my work but I can see this taking on a life of its own...
Oh yes...I'm having way-y too much fun with this.

Comments

Kirsten said…
Metalwork is sooooo addictive
Deborah Lambson said…
lol..I know YOU understand. Your work is very inspiring. I will try repousse(sp?) on a small piece one day.
Mytutorlist.com said…
Oooh, purty! I wish I could do metalwork!
Deborah Lambson said…
I started with Tim McCreight's book 'Fundamentals of Metalsmithing' ..it's really the book to start with if you're interested. ♥

Popular posts from this blog

Potomac bead box!

Creating an organic glass Bead

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!