I feel younger already..

I'm always looking for new and interesting findings and materials to add to my stash. Mediums that play well with glass and that work with my style.. Seedy, textural findings. I love artisan made clasps and findings. I love the warmth of copper, bronze and brass..those metals jive well with my work. If I use sterling or fine silver I almost always oxidize it. I just think it makes it look more substantial..worn and lived in.

The other day, while going through handmade findings and supplies on Etsy..I found some Rudraksha Seeds, these to be used as beads..have you heard of them? I had never set eyes on them before but as I learn about them I find that they are commonly used as prayer beads. Anyway..love them. Bought them. They look like this:


 and here's a little bit about them:

 "The rudraksha seed comes from an eponymous broad-leaf evergreen found in South and Southeast Asia. The fruit is bright blue and generally of no interest, but the seeds are named according to shape and associated with various unsubstantiated divine powers. According to Indian mythology, when Shiva wept, his tears turned into the rudraksha."      ~ thank you  milkmiracle.net

Another site advises students and those "..seeking knowledge and intelligence to carry rudraksh with either four, five or six faces. These strengthen the mind of their owners and increase the ability to concentrate."       ~thank you eHow.com


I'm pretty sure these have 5 faces although that's difficult to be really sure of unless you're a seed expert..
and  then this from hinduism.about.com

"According to the Ayurvedic medical system, wearing Rudraksha can have a positive effect on the heart and nerves, and relieve you from stress, anxiety, depression, palpitations and lack of concentration. It is also known for its anti ageing effect, and electromagnetic and inductive properties. People with high blood pressure have been found have benefited from the use of Rudraksha seeds..."

It's a natural material to go with glass wouldn't you say? great vibrations and energy..I added two perfect little ones to balance the chi and the amethyst [using color theory, opposing colors on the wheel make us feel good when we look at them. Orange and purple sit opposite one another on the color wheel]..


One of a kind 'Om' bracelet is available here


 Enjoy your week people..create something. 
Jewelry, a painting, dinner, a mess, a journal entry
..anything. Just create.



Comments

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Creating an organic glass Bead

Potomac bead box!

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!