Raisin Oatmeal cookies on a Rainy day.♥♥

Once when I was a very young girl ~many moons ago and in a far away land~ my mother and I found mysterious tufts of hair and fuzzy things in a box we were unpacking that had been stored in the shed. Mom laughed and told me all about the habits of pack rats..sort of a sweeter country cousin to the city gutter rats..
It's their practice to steal things..glittery things, bits of fabric for their nests.. but they're honorable thieves. They will always leave something of their own behind in exchange.
So yes, we have great use for hair and fuzz and grass... thank you little generous pack rat. May we have the cutlery back please?

It seems I am a bit of a pack rat. I can't go for a walk without bringing back a bit of something with me in my pocket. Not sure what to leave in its place~



My husband looked at my gatherings from my walk yesterday and said, "Where's the frog?"

Funny man.


Enjoy your day today everyone! Its raining where I am and the day seems like a baking day.

Hmm..warm raisin cookies.
The ones with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Recipe to follow~



This recipe seems closest to mine. It's on the Quaker Oat site so I'm betting it's good....I would add my own little hint. Well its not really mine, its my Moms and my Grandmothers.
Cover the raisins in just enough water to cover ..I add some of the spices here as well..about half of what is called for so that half is also used in the dry ingredients. Bring to a boil and cool before adding ..makes for fat plump juicy raisins and a moister and more flavorfull cookie~

Let me know if you try these..


Recipes

Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1 cup raisins

Preparation

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

  • Prep Time: 20 min
  • Cook Time Time: 08 min

Comments

Hey, I never thought to soak or boil the raisins first! Bet they are delicious with the spices soaking into them.
I like the packrat haul from your walk. Maybe what you left in their place was a little bit of wonder and amazement-- that would please Nature, I think :)
Deborah Lambson said…
lol..I like the way you think Angelina~ :-) Thanks for stopping by
I've made the recipe on the Quaker Oats lid for decades and it is a really good recipe, but I never thought about soaking the raisins. I wonder how they would turn out if I soaked the raisins in brandy first. I guess I just have to try. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Potomac bead box!

Creating an organic glass Bead

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!