hey..it's Pumpkin season already!

How many of you are as surprised as I am by the speed of time.. is it possible that our earth is spinning faster on its axis? Whatever the case, we've spun into October.
This time of year always stirs my nesting instinct. I baked cookies yesterday (a pleasant shock for those other people in my house) and have eaten far too many since. We won't count. Let's just say 'plenty'. I got this recipe off of the Martha Stewart site so I'm sure they're Perfection Personified, but my recipe differs slightly. In the version I make the spices are not optional, there are no coconut or raisins or currents and they're not iced. Mine are rolled in a mix of sugar and cinnamon before they go in the oven (like 'Snickerdoodles'..another favorite. Oh. don't get me started.)..anyway, heres Martha's recipe. I'll have to try her version some time and compare.

'Crybaby Cookies'
Makes 3 dozen

* 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
* 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
* 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup whole milk
* 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
* 1 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
* White Icing for Crybaby Cookies
* Colored sprinkles or chopped nuts, for garnish

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with Silpats. Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With machine running, gradually add molasses and egg. Add dry ingredients, alternating with milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients; scrape down bowl as necessary. Stir in coconut, walnuts, and raisins.
3. Drop by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Bake until golden brown, 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on pans until almost, but not completely cool, about 5 minutes.
4. Dip tops of cookies into icing, and decorate with sprinkles or chopped nuts.

If you want them to stay soft keep them in a large ziplock bag, if you like them crisp store them in a cookie jar. ..Enjoy your day!

Comments

Deb said…
OK - both versions sound delectable!! And they aren't something I have heard of before ( yes - I know, poor old New Zealand - deprived I tell you!!).

I am putting these on my list of 'to try' :o)
Deborah Lambson said…
oh try them Deb..they're like soft spicy gingerbread cookies.

Popular posts from this blog

Lampwork earring Giveaway!!

Potomac bead box!

Creating an organic glass Bead